Sunday, January 18, 2009

Southern Pacific Rattlesnake x-ray


Full Snake X-ray

While working on the rattlesnake fang project I mentioned to a friend about the snake heads in the freezer. He offered me several more! It turns out that if you own an expensive home in the hills outside of Santa Barbara in California you often keep rat traps to help keep the rats out of your house. This is a southern pacific rattlesnake that wandered into a rat trap. Of course I said I would love to have it and the next morning the dead snake arrived in the mail. I drove over to the university and x-rayed it in the high resolution machine. Hard to see in this image but there are a number of broken vertebrae several inches from the head. This snake is about 20 inches in length. Sciencephotography.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.