Sunday, January 18, 2009

Freak Snowflake


Freak Snowflake

For many years I have photographer perfect snowflakes. I do not live in the best location to photograph snowflakes, since I live near Lake Ontario in New York. Our most common (98% of the time) show is lake effect. The lake effect snow is a jumble of little fast forming crystals and is as far from photogenic as snow crystals can get. Many snow crystals are not perfectly six sided, but have weird angles. I call these freak flakes, and I will often photograph them when I see them. No mater how weird a snow crystal looks, it still tries to maintains a electrostatic symmetry. In this case the little captured snow crystal on the left carried enough electric charge to balance out the weird arm on the right. In the world of snow a snow crystal is a perfect single crystal of water while a snowflake is made up of a group of snow crystals. This image is technically a snowflake – can you find all the individual crystals?

No comments: